Thursday, December 23, 2010

Hello from the Vicar 12/23/10

This is a copy of my weekly "Hello from the Vicar" e-mail:

Hi, all!

At our house, we're in the middle of buying presents, hanging decorations, pinning up Christmas cards, and buying supplies for Christmas dinner. It's a busy week for all of us, I'm sure.

A popular Christmas song says, "It's the most wonderful time of the year." It can also be the most hectic, crazy, stressed-out time of the year. And for those of us who are coping with loss, sadness, or change, it can be the most difficult time of the year. Whatever circumstances you find yourself in, I hope the star of Bethlehem will guide you to the stable where the Christ child lays in the manger.

Last Saturday was a big day at St. Antony's. Bill Demmon and his crew cooked a delicious breakfast for 23 men, and Bob Hoag wryly directed the annual men's gift exchange/swap/theft session. As I sipped my coffee, I reflected on what a solid group of committed men we have.

At the Greening of the Church that followed, I learned from our talented Caroline Hoag how to wrap the sprigs of fir, pine, and cedar around a rope to create a lush evergreen garland, and I watched as Bennie Wright lifted it up over the cross to drape the sparkly hanging that Allison Edmonds found. It looks gorgeous!
greening

All this took place as Melanie Reeder led the children through the Christmas pageant rehearsal, complete with Christmas carols sounding through the church. And up in the barn, Debbie Stockwell and Carrie Rivers were creating fresh evergreen wreaths for the nave. Is this a great church family or what?
pageant
My thanks to Cheryl Wright and Ruth Lindstrum for their planning and preparation, and to all who participated. The Christmas Pageant at the 10:00 Eucharist on Sunday was a delight, and I had a great time with the youth group in the afternoon eating pizza and watching the movie Narnia. What fun kids!.

I hope you'll remember Adrienne Daugherty who is slowly recovering from surgery, and Bill Proctor's mother, Janet, who was recently diagnosed with cancer, and let's
 keep in prayer all those who are traveling this holiday weekend. I'm sorry to pass on the news that Catherine Lowe died last Monday. Her obituary is here. She requested no services, but I'm sure the family would appreciate cards of support at 5290 NW Apex Rd., Silverdale, WA 98383.

I'm looking forward to candlelight and carols at our Christmas Eve Eucharists (5PM and 10:30 PM). I'm reminded that we'll have many guests on Christmas Eve, and I know we'll all welcome them and make a special effort to make them feel at home.
May the Christ child be born in our hearts this holy season.
Bill 

No comments:

Post a Comment