Thursday, December 23, 2010

Hello from the Vicar 12/17/10

This is a copy of my weekly "Hello from the Vicar" e-mail to the parish:

Hi, all!

Last Sunday morning I was glad our church is on a hill so we didn't get inundated! That was some heavy rain. Thanks to all who braved the downpours to come to the Eucharist.

Today I heard a report on NPR about a "Secret Santa" program that fills children's requests for Christmas presents. The spokesperson said that in previous years kids asked for big-screen TVs, iPads, and Barbies, but this year more kids are asking for winter coats, shoes, and necessities. The "head elf" said, "The need is greater this year than I've ever seen it. One little girl didn't want anything for herself. She wanted a winter coat for her mother."


This makes me think about our Christmas Angel program. In the Narthex were 30 tags, each with the name of a child and a list of gifts for that child. Amazingly, all 30 of the tags were taken by our folks, and last Sunday the Narthex was filled with bags full of presents for these children. It gives me a really good feeling to know that we've made a real difference in the lives of God's children in need. My thanks to Donna Hilton for making this happen again this year.

I'm anticipating the Men's Breakfast and the "Greening of the Church" this Saturday. I hope you'll find time to participate. It's a day when you can see the St. Antony's family working, playing, singing and joking together. That's what a family does! Look for some different Christmas decorations this year as we try some new things.

This week I visited Catherine Lowe. Her lung disease has left her weak and on oxygen. I'm sure she'd appreciate cards at 5290 NW Apex Rd., Silverdale, WA 98383. One of the things I like best about St. Antony's is the support we give each other in good times and bad. What a difference it makes!

We'll have the children's Christmas Pageant at the 10:00 Eucharist this Sunday. There's always something special about seeing children act out the story of Christmas. I love our kids! And will you please remember our college students as they travel home for the holiday. We look forward to seeing them with us at God's holy table as we are nourished with Christ''s Body and Blood.

Advent blessings,
Bill 

No comments:

Post a Comment