Saturday, April 16, 2011

Hello from the Vicar 04/16/2011

Hi, all!

It’s here. Holy Week. The holiest time of the year. It’s called “Holy Week” because these are the high holy days of the Christian year. The days we walk with Christ through his suffering, death and resurrection. Palm Sunday. Maundy Thursday. Good Friday. Easter Sunday.

I have mixed feelings about Holy Week. On the one hand, it’s uncomfortable. Hearing the passion story on Palm Sunday starts me thinking what it was like for Jesus. When we observe Jesus’ last supper with his disciples on Maundy Thursday, I sense the tension in that room. On Good Friday I imagine the nails going through Jesus hands, and I cringe. Holy Saturday is the grief of the disciples.

But something attracts me to Holy Week as well. After all, this is the heart of the Christian faith. This is what gives the Christian message its deep credibility: Jesus’ love for you and me is poured out on the cross. All the rest of the year, when I receive holy communion, I’m reminded of the events of holy week, and I feel Jesus’ deep love for me. This is important stuff.

This morning (Saturday – I’m a little behind) we had an energetic work party with lots of folks washing, cleaning, trimming, weeding, and making palm crosses. My thanks to Ken Stephens and Loretta McGinley for making this a success.

We have a new name on the list of members of the Armed Forces. Recently a visitor named Petey worshiped with us for two weeks. She said she truly enjoyed her time with us and asked us to pray for her son Russell Vial, who’s in the Navy and is leaving for Iraq as an individual augmentee.

This afternoon I stopped by Clearbrook to see Eunice Brodde. Eunice is recovering from a broken arm and rib and now she’s got pneumonia. I got to meet her twin sister and well as several great-nieces and nephews who had come to visit. Please keep Eunice in your prayers.

Also, please remember Linda Robuck and her mother Kay. Linda and her daughter Kristen drove to central California this week to be with Kay who is near death. In this difficult time, we remember Linda’s family and ask God to give them comfort and strength.

See you tomorrow at church (wait till you see the fantastic palm fans behind the altar!).

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment