Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hello from the Vicar 04/08/2011

Hi, all!

I spent the first part of this week at the annual clergy conference at Alderbrook Resort on Hood Canal near Belfair. You may be wondering, "What do clergy do at a three-day conference?"

Well, we spent a day with our bishop, Greg, discussing the nature of ordination and doing some diocesan business. Then we had a day and a half retreat with Eugene Sutton, the bishop of Maryland. Bishop Sutton emphasized to us the importance of being grounded in an authentic spirituality before we can do the work of a priest or a deacon. 

Your ministry is what you do, he said, and your role is the position you are called to, but your vocation is your deep calling from God that resides in your soul. Keep in touch with your soul, he said.

What I really enjoyed was catching up with my clergy colleagues and making new friends. There are some amazingly talented and diverse clergy in our diocese, and it's wonderful to be with them. I had the privilege of singing in the choir under the direction of Jim Friedrich, a gifted musician and liturgist. I learned a lot.

I arrived back home to deal with a broken furnace at church. Last Sunday we had to keep our coats on in church because it was so cold, but I think we've got the furnace repaired. At least, it was working when I stopped by today.

I'm glad to report that Allison Edmonds started her new job as church secretary this week. She's had an avalanche of information to deal with, but she's a quick learner and I have no doubt she'll master it quickly. Her office hours are 10-1 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and 10-2 on Thursdays. Stop by and say hello!

We're drawing closer to Holy Week and our observance of the suffering and crucifixion of Jesus. It's a profound and holy time and I hope it will deepen and strengthen your faith. On to Jerusalem!

Bill 

No comments:

Post a Comment