Friday, April 1, 2011

Hello from the Vicar 04-01-2011

Hi, all!

Will it ever stop raining? It seems like it's been raining forever. I don't remember it being this wet in previous years, and I see that we're well above the average rainfall. When will spring come?

When I get in a funk about all the rain, I remind myself that, after all, this is Puget Sound, and it rains here. The beautiful green forests depend on lots of rain, and so do the salmon streams and the aquifers under the ground. This is just nature's way of keeping the balance.

I'm grateful to live in such a beautiful place. The smell of salt air, the tall stands of fir trees, the ever-changing seascapes all around us, the profusion of green things, the snowy mountains  -- we're surrounded by staggering beauty. God's creation is a web of life with such amazing diversity and complexity. So when I take a walk in the rain, I remember that this is God's gift to us, and the rain doesn't bother me.

I've enjoyed seeing some new faces at St. Antony's recently, and it seems like there's a good spirit about our parish gatherings. I hope you'll introduce yourself to newcomers and make them feel welcome. It's what we're really good at!

I was glad to hear that Heather George's daughter, Kathryn, found work at Bainbridge Jewelry. Kathryn wants to get into sales and marketing and this is a great opportunity. And recently Mary Zabinski was hired at the Kitsap Visitor and Convention Bureau, a great place for her skills to be showcased. Last week we said goodbye to Michael Deboer, who was transferred by the Navy toHawaii. Michael and his wife Sally will finally be stationed together.

The Gospel story for Sunday is the story of Jesus healing the man born blind, and what it means to have sight. I hope we'll see each other - really see each other - on Sunday for Holy Eucharist.

Bill 

3 comments:

  1. Yes coming from New England I do greatly appreciate the weather here. Although there are complaints about the rain it is green all year round. Back east in winter it looks very desolate with no green at all during the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do appreciate the weather here. Even though there are a lot of complaints about the rain, it stays green here all year long. I'm from New England and 6 months of the year it looks desolate there as ther is no green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I fly in from a visit to my family in Colorado, I'm surprised again by the lush green Pacific Northwest. I'll take the rain over the dry brown desert anytime.

    ReplyDelete