Saturday, July 3, 2010

Funeral at Family of God Lutheran Church

Yesterday I officiated at a funeral at Family of God Lutheran Church. I did this because I was covering for my friend Sigi Helgeson, the pastor of Family of God, while she was away on a mission trip.

I know Sigi because we both attend the pastor's text study that meets weekly at Silverdale Lutheran Church. Because of an agreement signed between the Lutheran and Episcopal Churches in the U.S., we have full interchangeability of clergy, and we can officiate at each other's altars.

Besides that, Family of God Church is just down Central Valley road from our house, and it's almost my neighborhood church. The deceased was a woman had had been with the church about 30 years. On Thursday I met with her family to learn about her life and help bring a sense of closure. It was very rewarding.

She was an artist, and they put on the altar a portrait she had made of Jesus. Along with the flowers, the brass urn with her ashes, and the quilted green altar hanging, it was quite lovely. I'm glad I could work with the people of Family of God, who were very welcoming to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment