Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Shepherd or Captain?

Yesterday I was told by two concerned parishioners that I need to be more vigilant that people do their jobs in the parish. "Things are falling through the cracks," they told me.

They compared the vicar to the captain of a ship. "On a ship everyone has a job, and it's the captain's responsibility that everyone does their job."

I always thought that the job of a priest was to be a shepherd. A shepherd cares for the flock and walks alongside them, guiding them to green pastures and fresh water.

I'm pondering the difference between these two images. Am I a shepherd or a captain?

Our parish has many military families, so it's only natural that we think using military images. We feel comfortable knowing that the captain is in charge of the ship.

A few questions I'm thinking about:
How do I need to adapt myself to this way of seeing the parish?
How I can I best use my gifts for ministry in this setting?
What is God calling us to do and be as a parish?
Is the vicar the captain of the parish?
-

No comments:

Post a Comment