Sunday, December 21, 2008

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord

We woke up to 8 inches of snow on the ground this morning and roads that were nearly impassable, so I walked to church at 6:30 AM and shoveled the church driveway. It was serene and beautiful so early in the morning with the silent snow all around.

Peter and Mardi showed up for the 8:00 AM Eucharist, so the three of us celebrated the holy mysteries. At 10:00 AM, the Stockwell family showed up, so we celebrated Eucharist with five people.

It was quite striking to worship with so few people. For the sermon, we reflected on the beautiful story of the Annunciation (when the angel Gabriel announced to Mary that she was going to conceive and bear a son) and the Magnificat, when Mary overflows in praise and exaltation.

I remarked that when we first come to church, it's usually because "we have to." Our family expects us to come. Later, it becomes a habit that we fall into. But hopefully at some point, worship in church becomes more than duty or habit; it becomes a thing of joy and beauty.

The Magnificat is a thing of joy and beauty. Mary's cry of joy is pure worship, and it reminds us of the joy of worship. I felt that joy this morning. Sharing the beautiful story of the Annunciation lifted me out of our simple setting and set my heart soaring, and I felt the words of the Magnificat anew. "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my savior."

I'm thankful I had friends to worship with.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment