Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Stay-cation

This week I'm on "staycation". That's the new word for taking a vacation without traveling. I'm taking the week off because my son Chad is here and I want to spend some time with him. Next week he'll begin his senior year at the University of Oregon.

Taking time off is part of personal self-care that everyone should be aware of. Our culture is so intent on being productive 100% of the time that we forget to tend to our self-care. Jesus' example of going off by himself to pray is a good reminder that we need time away from the demands of our work.

The photo above is me next to my "dream boat". This boat is a fiberglass copy of a design named "Rozinante" by L. Francis Herreshoff, the genius boat designer (1890-1972). I've always wanted to build a wooden Rozinante just as Herreshoff designed it. When I saw this boat in a marina at Port Townsend, I just had to have my photo taken next to it!

-

No comments:

Post a Comment