Thursday, July 24, 2008

Mustard seeds

Mustard seeds

Usually when we think about our accomplishments, we think of the big things: the honors we've earned, the positions we've gained, the goals we've met. But when I think of what I've accomplished in my life, it's the small things that come to mind.

Making breakfast for my sons before they went to school was a small thing, but it's a good memory for me. And I wonder if all the lectures and teaching I gave them had a fraction of the impact of simply having pancakes available on their plate.

Sometimes people tell me, "Thanks for what you said to me back when. It had a big impact on me." Embarassingly, I often can't remember the incident!

There have been times when another person's slightest gesture or smile has lifted my whole day.

And when I think of how I have spent my time over the past years, I think the least known and most hidden activity - prayer - has probably been the most effective.

Jesus said, "The kingdom of God is like a mustard seed. It is the smallest of all the seeds, yet when it is grown it becomes a great tree, providing a home for the birds of the air."

Perhaps we ought to focus on the small things we do as much as the big things!
-

No comments:

Post a Comment