Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Faithful prayer

I saw this beautiful image of a woman in prayer on the front page of the Kitsap Sun this morning. She was at a prayer vigil in Winslow, called in response to the horrifying shooting in Tennessee a few days ago in which a man entered a Unitarian Church and opened fire on the people, shouting "hateful things" about liberals.

Her posture, folded hands, closed eyes, and expression of deep prayer show me that she's deeply grieved and she's offering this tragedy to God for healing. Her response to the terrible news is to pray.

This is faith. To turn to God and open one's heart, to offer the violence and pain of the world to a loving God is what faith is about. I can't understand how anyone could kill another person, especially in a church setting. This man's action shows the pain of a broken world. But offering even this hurt to God is the beginning of healing.

I think of my good friends who are Unitarians and I know they are praying, too. I'm sure they feel the pain of those who died - and possibly a little fear for themselves as well. May God watch over us all and protect us.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment