Monday, July 21, 2008

Cursillo planning

Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Mercer Island

On Saturday, Fr. Dick Scott and I attended a Cursillo planning meeting at Emmanuel Church in Mercer Island. Cursillo is a weekend "short course" in Christianity. designed to help people grow in their faith. I've agreed to be on the spiritual team for the Cursillo September 25-28.

I did my Cursillo weekend when I was in seminary, in 1993. It was a memorable weekend and helped me in my walk with Christ. Over the past thirty years, Cursillo has deepened the faith of many people and helped them become disciples of Christ, not just attenders of church.

What struck me at this meeting was the male-ness of it. This is a men's weekend and the planning team of 22 people were all male! I haven't been in an all-male group for a long time, and it took a little adjustment for me. These were obviously all men devoted to Cursillo and very gifted in their area. The planning, which is quite thorough, will produce a spectacular weekend, I'm sure.

After the meeting ended, I had a few minutes to make a sketch of Emmanuel Church (above).
-

No comments:

Post a Comment