Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Visiting my sister in the hospital

I'm writing this from my sister's hospital room at the University of Colorado Hospital in Denver. My younger sister, Betty, has had liver disease for over twenty years and it has finally come to the point where she is at the top of the list for a liver transplant. Now we're waiting for a donor liver that's a good match for Betty.

Betty is jaundiced and weak but she's pretty cheerful, considering everything she's gone through. The doctor said that the waiting is the hardest part, but she assured us that a donor liver will be found, even if it takes a week.

As a parish priest, I've made countless visits to hospital rooms and prayed with countless people and their families. Now I find myself as part of the family in a hospital room, and it feels very different. My heart is so close to Betty, and I'm waiting and praying, trying to be fully present to her and my family. It's emotionally taxing. So this is what it's like to be the family member.

As I wait with Betty, I'm especially aware of the mystery of life, the wonder of medical science, and the knowledge that the end of one life will be the means of saving another. I'm impressed by the warm and caring support Betty's getting from the staff at the hospital, from the doctors to the housekeepers.

I'll be here for some days yet, but I'm happy to say that Fr. Craig is covering for me for Sunday and also for any pastoral care needs. I'm thankful for his willingness to step up while I'm away. Please don't hesitate to call him with any questions. And you can reach me anytime by cell phone (360-620-8086) or by email (billfulton2001@yahoo.com).

Thanks for your support and encouragement. Please keep Betty in your prayers, asking God for strength, patience, and healing. Thank you.

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment