Friday, May 24, 2013

New life for my sister


I'm glad to report that my sister, Betty, has had a successful liver transplant and is now in recovery in the ICU. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers that have held us up and carried us through.

As we waited for a donor organ to be found, we watched Betty's condition deteriorate. About ten percent of transplant patients die before a match can be found, and so we were anxiously waiting and praying. 

When we found out yesterday that a donor liver had been found, the first thing Betty asked was to pray for the donor, which we did. All we know about the donor is that this person was Betty's blood type, about Betty's size, and was a young person who lived somewhere outside of Denver.

Organ transplants are truly miraculous, and the skill of the medical transplant team is amazing. Betty's condition was especially bad before the transplant, and it took eleven hours of surgery, finishing about 8:30 this morning. 

As my family contemplates the gift of life that came from a young person's death, we are in awe. We don't know how this young person died, but surely it must have been difficult for their family. I hope the family feels that something good came out of their tragedy. We're acutely aware that out of their child's death has come life for another. And isn't that the Christian belief? This is really a resurrection story.
Betty has a long recovery ahead, and we ask for your continued prayers as her body accepts the new liver and heals from the surgery. I'm deeply thankful I was able to be with Betty before surgery and to pray with her as she went into the operating room. 
I'll return home next Thursday, May 30, after spending more time with Betty and my family, looking forward to Betty's years of new life. Again, I'm grateful that Craig is present to cover for me while I'm away.
Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment