Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Hello from the Vicar 03/18/2011

Hi, all!

I've been watching the news about the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, and the heroic efforts to avert a meltdown at the nuclear power plants. Realizing that many thousands of people have died, that people are struggling to live without water or electricity in subfreezing temperatures, that millions live in fear of radiation poisoning -- it's overwhelming to me.  

I want to turn away and find something else to think about. Avoidance and denial are the usual ways we avoid the reality of human suffering. I'm trying to remember the people of Japan in my daily prayers. It's the least I can do to stay engaged with the suffering of so many people. I hope we'll all keep Japan and its people in our prayers.

In addition, we'll continue to accept offerings to help the people of Japan through Episcopal Relief and Development. Last Sunday we sent $450 to ERD to help with the Japan effort. Checks written to St. Antony's with ERD on the memo line will be sent on to ERD.

The photo directories have finally arrived! If you had your photo taken at the Olan Mills sessions, you may take one of the directories. We have a few extra we'll save for newcomers, so they can learn names and faces more easily.  
  
I'm glad to report that Allison Edmonds has agreed to be our new church secretary. Allison, who is also our organist, has a rich background in the Episcopal Church and a great deal of experience in church administration. We're fortunate to have her.

I'm glad to report that Eleanor Brook has moved to Northwoods for rehab after her surgery and complications. I'm sure she'd appreciate cards and brief visits. 

How is your Lenten spiritual practice coming along? I'm doing my best to keep my Lenten practice of making a daily sketch of the Bible lessons for the upcoming Sunday. You can see them at my sketch blog at www.billfulton.net  

This Sunday is the Second Sunday in Lent, and we'll hear the story of Nicodemus coming to Jesus in the night. Hope to see you in the holy place! 

Bill 

No comments:

Post a Comment