Monday, November 29, 2010

The Vicar's hello

Last Saturday I sent an e-mail to our parish list as a friendly hello and update for the parish. I'd like to start doing this weekly as a way of staying in touch with the parish. I've read other parish weekly letters and I've found them warm, personal and rich. I'd like to use the email software Constant Contact because it's easy to use and it looks good in all browsers. I hope that these letters will be down-to-earth, personal, and focused on our parish life. Here's the letter I sent last Saturday:


To my St. Antony’s friends,

It's been quite a week in Kitsap County. The storm that came through on Monday night blew down trees all over the county and iced up the roads everywhere. I hope you found shelter during the storm and have been able to get back to normal. I know a lot of us were without power for extended periods of time, which made us especially thankful for the simple things of life. At our house, we snuggled down in layers of blankets and thought about those who were out in the cold. It made Thanksgiving Day even more meaningful.

Last Sunday we celebrated the 25th anniversary of St. Antony's with an energetic and fitting joint Eucharist, followed by a fantastic potluck brunch. Thank you to Cheryl Wright and Ruth Lindstrum for organizing the brunch, and to all who made it a success. That was fun!

Tomorrow is the first Sunday of Advent. We'll see new hangings of rich blue fabric, the Jesse Tree, and the Advent Wreath. My thanks to Sondra Meith for sewing the beautiful hangings, and to Barbara Steadman for supplying the beeswax candles as she has for many years.

Advent is a season of anticipation and expectation, waiting for the coming of God's kingdom. Advent provides a still point of quiet in the center of our lives that we can return to even in the midst of the holiday frenzy.

I'll see you tomorrow as we begin our Advent time.

With the joy of Christ,
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment