Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My new role at Chorale


I've taken on a new role at Bremerton Chorale, that of social chair. Here's how it came about: I've truly enjoyed singing with the Chorale for two years, but I haven't felt like I've gotten to know the other singers very well. We rehearse intensely, but we haven't had much social time together.

So I volunteered to help us become more connected personally. Last night, our second rehearsal of the season, I organized a brief social time at the beginning of rehearsal, with finger food to eat. After about fifteen minutes of noshing, I stood up and directed the singers to do a series of icebreakers. I told them to gather into groups by sections and introduce themselves. Then I told them to gather into quartets, with one singer from each section, and introduce themselves again. Then we formed a long line according to the distance of our commute, and then another long line according to our length of time in Chorale.

I've also started a Yahoo group e-mail list so we can communicate with the whole group by e-mail, and I'm trying to create a webpage with resources. I'll ask two or three singers each rehearsal to introduce themselves to the group so we get to know each other.


I really enjoy this kind of organizing activity. Several people, including our director, told me, "This is just what we needed." We all want to feel more connected to each other in Chorale, and I think my gifts and personality are helpful in doing this.

Although this is not part of my job description as vicar of St. Antony's, I find that this kind of community activity pays dividends for the parish in the long run. Eventually, someone says, "I wonder what his church is like," and they investigate. 

It's all part of the role of being "the vicar of silverdale."

2 comments:

  1. Bill,
    I enjoyed reading about this new role in your life. I was especially interested after chatting with one of your members, Gretchen Ramsdell, while we played a bridge game at a friend's house. Very cool ideas and good for you!! Gretchen spoke very highly of you.
    Marin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marin! I really enjoy being a member of Chorale and it's fun to get to know folks like Gretchen.

    ReplyDelete