Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving Eve service at SUMC

On Wednesday night, I participated in the Community Thanksgiving service at Silverdale United Methodist Church. I've done many ecumenical services like this in the past, and I always enjoy being with people from other churches. Thanksgiving seems to be a unique opportunity for churches of different denominations to gather together.

The service was designed and led by Cecilia Clemons, the pastor of SUMC. Highlights of the service were the bell choir from Silverdale Lutheran Church, a joint choir with about 45 singers, and the energetic sermon given by Jonathan Sansgaard, associate pastor at Silverdale Lutheran. The church was mostly full, and Cecilia and Jonathan were very entertaining, speaking from the aisle with hand mikes.

My part was to read the scripture lesson about the lilies of the field, and to pray for people when they came to the altar rail for prayer. It was very fulfilling.

Cecilia asked members of each church to stand in turn. The largest group was from the Lutheran Church, then the Presbyterian Church. I was glad to see four members from St. Antony's stand.

Another highlight for me was to meet Pastor Lee Riley, the brand-new pastor at Central Kitsap Presbyterian Church. I hope to have a chance to have coffee with him soon.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment