Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Attending my Uncle Charley's burial service



Yesterday I attended my Uncle Charley's burial service at Ft. Lyon National Cemetery near Las Animas, Colorado. The photo above shows the Navy honor guard presenting an American flag to my Aunt Betty.

Uncle Charley died about two months ago and there was a memorial service in South Dakota shortly afterward. Yesterday there was a simple commital of his ashes at the cemetery. Pastor Terilynn Russ, the pastor at La Junta United Methodist Church, officiated at the committal which was followed by military honors given by a Navy honor guard.

I was glad I wasn't the officiant at this burial. I was told in seminary, "Don't try to be a pastor to your family." In this case, I was able to let Pastor Terilynn do the officiating and I could simply be present and grieve. That was very helpful for me.

My father is buried in this same cemetery, and just being there in the presence of his grave called up deep grief and sadness in me. Burying my uncle added to it. Dad and Uncle Charley were both men of the "greatest generation", both served in World War II, and both had a certain military bearing to them. Uncle Charley's death represents the passing of a generation to me, and that affects me profoundly.

Uncle Charley was a medical doctor. He received his training just in time to be posted to China during World War II. He participated in the early years of kidney dialysis research and he was instrumental in the development of the medical school in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Uncle Charley had a very dry sense of humor and a quick wit. He knew how to draw out a story and lead you into the punch line every time. He was droll, wise, and a compassionate doctor and leader. He lived a life of dignity and accomplishment. May he rest in peace and rise in glory.

Charley Gutch, M.D.





No comments:

Post a Comment