Saturday, June 6, 2009

Volunteering at the Clear Creek Trail

This morning I volunteered at the Clear Creek Trail. Today is National Trails Day, and people all over the country were invited to work on their local trails to encourage walking and running. Our local Clear Creek Trail Conservancy organized a workday on our trail here in Silverdale.

The Clear Creek Trail is a local jewel, stretching from tidewater near the mouth of Clear Creek to open fields several miles upstream. The creek was saved from development, even though a long string of big-box stores are located on either side of it on the lower portions.

The trail is maintained by volunteers, so it's important for local people to show their support. A good crowd of families and individuals showed up at the red barn near Bucklin Hill road, where we were given our assignments. I was sent to the portion of the trail behind the bowling alley, where we cleared brush and alders that were encroaching on the side of the trail.

As I was working near the back of the bowling alley, I noticed an old car near the trail. I didn't think anything of it until I passed by it and saw a young man was sleeping in the car. It made me wonder why he was sleeping in his car at eleven in the morning. Is he homeless? Does he have any resources? Where is his family?

At any rate, this morning certainly taught me a lot about Silverdale.

No comments:

Post a Comment