Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Children's sermon

On Sunday I gave my first childrens sermon at St. Antony's. I told the children the story of the healing of Jairus' daughter by drawing a picture for them on an easel pad. Above is one of my practice drawings.

I plan to do childrens sermons during the summer, when Sunday School is in recess. I want to let the children know that they're important to us, and I hope to communicate the Gospel story in ways they can absorb it.

A good childrens sermon takes as much preparation as an adult sermon...and sometimes it communicates the Gospel better than the adult sermon! A childrens sermon should pack the Gospel story into a easily grasped package. That means simplifying the message and crafting a good container - not easy.

We'll see how my creativity holds out over the course of the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment