Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Meeting the neighboring Vicar

Last Friday I had lunch with the Rev. Guy Sherman, the interim rector at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Bremerton.

I enjoyed meeting Guy and sharing stories about our ministries. Guy is a retired Episcopal priest, serving as the interim rector at St. Paul's for a few months, until a new rector is called for the parish.

Guy is trained as a professional interim pastor, and this is the sixth parish Guy has served as an interim. Interim ministry is a specialized calling, and Guy said he enjoys this ministry.

I find it helpful to get to know the Episcopal clergy in our area. For one thing, it keeps me in touch with what's happening in the area, and keeps me from being isolated. In addition, I can learn a lot from other clergy, especially those who have experience in our diocese. I think we need to communicate with each other and support each other.

It's easy for pastors to let themselves get isolated from the larger body, but I think we all need each other. I know I need to be in touch with my fellow clergy to help me keep a sense of perspective and balance. There's no one who understands the peculiar demands of ministry like another pastor.

I hope Guy and I will keep in touch from time to time and I look forward to meeting the new rector of St. Paul's when he or she arrives later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment