Friday, June 6, 2008

The Vicar of Silverdale?

I've named this blog "the vicar of silverdale", which may seem presumptuous. How can I call myself the "Vicar of all Silverdale" when I've just been called to be the pastor of a small church in the community? Do I think that I'm responsible for every soul in Silverdale?

Besides that, I probably ought to remember that I was called by St. Antony's Church and I'm paid by St. Antony's church so I ought to spend my time in the parish instead of frittering it away in the entire community.

But when I read the Gospel for Sunday it seems to me that Jesus didn't confine his efforts to a narrow segment of society. Jesus called Matthew, a despised tax collector, to be a disciple. He ate with tax collectors and sinners. He healed an unclean woman and he touched a dead girl (unclean!) and brought her back to life.

Jesus was Savior, not of the chosen people, but of all the people. He reached out to all people everywhere and he had compassion for every human being.

So why shouldn't I also have a spirit big enough for all Silverdale? Sure, it's a presumptuous title and it might be a little exaggerated, but why not consider my ministry as an outreach to the whole community?

The mission of the church is to the whole world, and the mission of St. Antony's is to our whole community. There are a lot of people in our community who need the saving message of the Gospel and a caring community. I hope we'll be a church for all Silverdale.
-

2 comments:

  1. We are so glad that you and Katy are finally here and sharing your gifts with us. You both will be an asset to our church family and to our community. Vicar of Silverdale?---YES! Get use to it Bill.

    cheers/c

    ReplyDelete