Monday, June 23, 2008

A funeral and a baptism

One of the things I like about ministry is that I get to participate in the major life events of my parishioners. Last weekend was a perfect example: I officiated at the memorial service for Don on Saturday, and I baptised Andrew and his daughter Erin the next morning.

The memorial service for Don was dignified and yet personalized. Dick Scott gave a warm and personal remembrance of Don and others added their memories. Afterwards the church provided a reception (more like a banquet) in the parish hall. Don's friends and family came from far and near to remember him.

The baptism on Sunday was full of joy and light. I preached on baptism, and then I asked Andrew and his wife Lorien to come up with their daughter Erin, along with their sponsors. The font was right in front of the pews and very visible to all. The children of the church also gathered around as we joyfully baptised Andrew and Erin. After the service there was another big reception and gathering. What a wonderful day!

The church is the place where our major life events are observed. Birth, marriage, and death are marked with the sacraments, and week by week we are fed with the precious Body and Blood of our Lord. Is it any wonder I love the Church, even with all her flaws?
-

No comments:

Post a Comment