Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Flood in the sanctuary


On Monday, November 19, I arrived at work to find that water was coming in the north door of the sanctuary and flooding the carpet. It was raining heavily all night and all day, so the hillside above the church was saturated. When that happens, it starts to fill the low place between the church and the modular.

There's a sump pump just outside the door in the low place that's supposed to drain the low spot, but the float switch had failed. I went home and got my rubber boots and oilskins, then returned to bail out the sump. It took about 50 trips with a 5-gallon bucket before the water went down enough to get at the sump pump. Once I jarred the float switch, it begin to pump and took care of itself after that.

My son, Guy, came and we moved the piano and organ (fortunately, neither got wet) and all the chairs. Then we pulled up the carpet so it could start to dry. I called the Servpro restoration guys and they came out with their big blowers. They pulled out the soggy carpet pad set up the driers to dry the carpet.

What a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment