Saturday, November 12, 2011

For all the Saints



Hi, all!

This week I'm visiting my family in Colorado. I've been going through old photo albums at my mother's house, scanning some of the photos into the computer so I can have access to them online. As I leaf through those old albums, memories from years ago come rushing back.

There are fading color photos from my childhood and old black-and-white photos from generations past. I peer at the faces of my ancestors and imagine what life was like for them. The photos are like little time machines.

I think of how all these lives influenced my life directly or indirectly. These are the saints of my life, the ones who have made me who I am. I especially think of my dad who died in 1973. Yesterday I visited his grave at Ft. Lyon National Cemetery near here, and memories came flooding back.

This Sunday we celebrate All Saints' Day (transferred from November 1), and we'll name those who are the saints in our lives. I've added my dad's name to the list, and even though I won't be at church, it's good to know his name will be lifted up.

Who are the saints in your life? On All Saints' Day, it's a good time to remember those who have influenced us - parents, aunts and uncles, coaches, teachers, mentors, friends, and role models. We are part of a long procession of the saints of God, and all of us together make a long, joyous parade as we wind our way to heaven.

Bill   

No comments:

Post a Comment