Saturday, July 9, 2011

Candor, grace, and charm

Hi, all! 

I was struck by the news that former first lady Betty Ford died yesterday at the age of 93. She's remembered fondly for her candor and honesty, especially during times of difficulty. 

When she was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent a mastectomy, she allowed herself to be photographed in her robe at the hospital. Her candor and openness helped bring breast cancer out into the open and encouraged millions of women to get breast exams.

After she and President Ford left the White House, she entered treatment for her addictions to alcohol and painkillers. She went public about her addictions with her book, "A Glad Awakening." She faced reality with candor, charm, and grace, and helped bring addiction out of the closet.

I admire Betty Ford for her forthrightness, honesty and courage. Those are spiritual qualities, and I would like to live with that kind of character also. I think it's hard to be candid about our lives, especially our challenges and setbacks. Like many people, I tend to keep a "bright shield" up -- a facade of cheerfulness and normality. Betty Ford is an inspiration to me to live with candor and grace.

Peace and all good,
Bill   

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more as I appreciate transparency in public life. Most in politics seem to fear any kind of perceived negative exposure, but my guess is that the public appreciates honesty above all.

    ReplyDelete