Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Pastor's Appreciation Breakfast at Martha and Mary


This morning I attended the pastor's appreciation breakfast at Martha and Mary in Poulsbo. I've spent some time at Martha and Mary visiting with parishioners who were residents of the health care facility, so I know a little about it. Plus, I know two young women who work for the preschool programs run by Martha and Mary.

It's always nice to have a free breakfast, and it's always nice to be appreciated. So I was glad to be there with some other clergy friends (Lutheran pastors I know from our weekly text studies) and listen to the CEO, Chad Solvie, give a Powerpoint presentation.

I was impressed. Solvie is a bright, articulate young man and gave a persuasive talk with stories to make his points. Martha and Mary has changed to meet the needs of our communities, has reached out to create partnerships in the community, has an impressive career track for employees, and has done amazing intergenerational programs.

Solvie told a story he heard from a young mother who brought her two daughters, ages 6 and 10, to a program  to meet residents in the health care facility. She wasn't worried about her ten-year-old, but thought she should make sure her six-year-old wouldn't be scared by the older residents. But what happened was that her ten-year-old was quite apprehensive and withdrawn, while the six-year-old scampered happily among the residents, going from wheelchair to wheelchair. Then the mother realized that her younger daughter had been in the Martha and Mary preschool and had become comfortable with the elderly people from her visits to M & M in preschool, while her older daughter hadn't had that experience.

I'm glad I went and learned about Martha and Mary and met more people in our community, part of my effort to connect with our neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment