Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My first Chamber of Commerce luncheon

Today I attended my first monthly luncheon of the Chamber of Commerce. I just joined the Chamber and as a new member I was introduced and allowed to give a 30-second spot about myself. I thought about it beforehand and came up with this to say:

Hi, I’m Bill Fulton. I’m the pastor at St. Antony’s Episcopal Church. We’re located on Old Frontier Rd, just above CK High School.

We are a welcoming and inclusive church. We’re small enough that we can sit down and share a meal together; we can laugh and enjoy each other. We feel free to express our opinions and feelings, even though we don’t always agree with each other, and that's OK. 

I’ve been the pastor there for two years, and I’m interested in getting to know the members of our business community, and I’m glad to be part of the Chamber of Commerce.

I showed up early to do "networking" - introduce myself to others and pass out my business cards. I shook a lot of hands and passed out a lot of cards. It's not something I'm really fond of doing, but as the executive director said, it's good to get out of your comfort zone and try something challenging. This is all part of my strategy for St. Antony's to become better known in our community.

When I arrived, Mackenzie Wagner, a nine-year-old in our parish, ran up and gave me a big hug. She was there as the person of honor for the Arthritis Foundation. She and her parents were helping to promote the Arthritis Foundation walk this Saturday.

-

2 comments:

  1. Bill, you are doing such a wonderful job of getting out in the community and making a place for St. A's in that community. Ed certainly understands how you feel, as he is also not comfortable making his presence known, but had to do so when he was CO of Keyport. God is giving you the courage to do what is needed. Thank you for answewring that Call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carolyn. I think Ed and I are similar in some ways. I'm glad to get out in the community, but it takes some effort for me. I'm not all that extroverted. Thanks for reading the blog!

    ReplyDelete