Thursday, July 9, 2009

The bicycling Vicar

There's a charming stereotype of the barmy small-town English Vicar who rides his bicycle wherever he goes. Well, I hope I'm not barmy, but I am starting to ride my bike!

Today I rode my bicycle to church, a distance of about 6 miles. It takes me 30 minutes and it's very refreshing. To get home, I'll take the bus from Kitsap Mall to Pine Rd. and Riddell Rd., a short (downhill) ride home.

I like to ride my bicycle for several reasons. One is for my health. When I get regular exercise, I feel better all over and my energy level is consistently higher. I get good aerobic exercise, and my heart and lungs get a workout.

Another reason is environmental. When I ride my bicycle, I'm not emitting any hydrocarbons into the atmosphere, and I'm not using using up the petroleum resources of the earth. That feels good.

A third reason is that it helps ground me. When I ride my bicycle, I see things differently. I'm closer to the ground, and I breathe the air and feel the rain. I get a feel of just how far six miles is. It makes me feel more connected to my world.

Of course, I can't ride every day. Often I have visits or meetings to attend that require driving a car. But when I can, I'm going to try to ride my bike.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment