Thursday, November 13, 2008

Diocesan Convention Friday and Saturday

I'll be in Seattle Friday and Saturday for the Diocesan Convention. During this annual two-day event, representatives from all the churches in the diocese get together to do the business of the diocese and gain inspiration and vision for the coming year.

Inevitably there are resolutions to be debated and passed. I'm of the opinion that unless a resolution makes a real difference in the real world, we shouldn't entertain it. Too often people put forward resolutions that just promote their own political or personal agenda and have no impact whatsoever after the convention is over.

Bishop Greg has written that he hopes this convention will center around learning, bible study and sharing between people from different churches. This is more of a relational emphasis and less of a legislative emphasis. I hope it works.

We'll have Eucharist twice during the convention and as a clergy new to the diocese, I'll help administer communion tomorrow morning. I'm looking forward to that.

I'll give a brief recap of convention when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment